Mark your calendars for Friday, November 29, 2019 – this year’s Starlight Shopping & Big Truck Parade!
2019 5:00pm – THE BIG TRUCK PARADE WILL START ROLLING FROM ROCKLAND ROAD!!
Sponsored by 97.3 the Eagle.
Additional sponsors include: the Campbell River Mirror, RBC, CIBC, Scotiabank, the Bank of Montreal, MacIsaac & Company, Kicking Horse Coffee, Shoppers Drug Mart, Foggdukkers Coffee, the City of Campbell River, Beach Fire Brewing, Bailey Western Star, SuaVair, Domcor Traffic Control, Breakfast Rotary
This fabulous parade, the 2nd largest lighted parade on Vancouver Island, will feature cement trucks (how do they get the lit drum to turn!?), logging trucks complete with huge logs, tow trucks, dump trucks, tractors, snow plows, trucks towing boats, trailers and low beds plus fire trucks including ones with Santa ad Mrs. Claus aboard. Lots of new businesses have signed up this year to make it our biggest Parade yet – 73 trucks! The parade has become a Campbell River Tradition.
THE RCMP WILL BE AT ROCKLAND ROAD AND 19A PLUS THE TOP OF ROCKLAND. AT 4:45 THE HIGHWAY WILL BE CLOSED AT HILCHEY.
THE PARADE WILL START AT 5:00.
WITH THE PARADE TRAVELLING ON HWY. 19A, A DETOUR WILL BE SET UP AT 2ND AVE. AND MANNED BY DOMCOR TO ENCOURAGE MOTORISTS TO SELECT EITHER ALDER ST. OR DOGWOOD ST. THE DETOUR WILL HELP ALLEVIATE CONGESTION BY ROCKLAND ROAD AND MAKE FOR A SAFER PARADE ROUTE. THE HIGHWAY WILL BE CLOSED AT 4:45.
INTERSECTIONS AT 1ST, 3RD, 5TH, 6TH, 10TH AND 13TH WILL BE ATTENDED BY ROTARIANS.
THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS AT ST. ANN’S WILL HAVE THE RCMP AND ROTARY.
TRAFFIC FROM QUADRA ISLAND ON THE 5:15 AND 6:15 FERRIES WILL BE DIRECTED BY DOMCOR TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN ONLY WHEN EXITING.
AS AN ADDED SAFETY FEATURE VOLUNTEERS WILL HELP LOOK AFTER THE CORNER OF 11TH AVE. AND SHOPPERS ROW. EVERYONE DOES AN EXEMPLARY JOB OF KEEPING THE PARADE SAFE.
4:00 AROUND THE TOWN
* ReMax Check Realty at the corner of St. Ann’s and Hwy. 19A will be giving out cookies and hot cider to people waiting for the big trucks to roll by!
* CIBC will be handing out cookies and hot chocolate
* PARALLEL 50 will be serving hot dogs.
*Free Glow Sticks will be handed out to the first 300 children by Captain Thunderpants and the Elf at Spirit Square
* The Fire Pit at Spirit Square, always a welcome additon, will keep families warm and toasty
* Gateway Foursquare Church will be heating up & serving s’mores along with games & prizes
* Cermaq Canada will be serving tasty smoked salmon
* Easy Street featuring Annie Handley & Dave Davendish will perform on Spirit Square Stage. Sponsored by ReMax Check Realty.
* Working her magic at Spirit Square will be the one and only… Shoo Shoo the Clown
* Illuminated Angels- dressed as angels and wrapped in lights, this duo on stilts, will enthrall the crowds. Sponsored by Royal LePage Advance Realty and Berwick by the Sea
* Town Crier, Captain Thunderpants, will make sure Santa and the Mrs. make their way to Spirit Square Stage for the Light Up.
* Annie Handley and Dave Davendish will be entertaining everyone on Spirit Square Stage until 7:15.
* the Art Gallery Artisan Market will be open plus City programmers will help decorate cookies and make crafts
* Santa, Mrs. Claus and Elves will arrive!
* Free candy will be given out by Mrs. Claus to the first 400 children.
Bounce a Rama cotton candy at Spirit Square
* Mayor Andy Adams and 97.3 the Eagle’s Steve Rossner will deliver a warm welcome to all and help the winner of 97.3 the Eagle “Ride With Santa” contest, light the Christmas Tree with the “magic” lever.
* Ten big trucks will be on display at Tyee Plaza. Be sure to go over and say hello and thank you to these amazing truck drivers.
* Pacifica Ukes, A Unique Ukele Ensemble and always a crowd favorite, will play in Tyee Plaza
6:45pm SANTA’S WORKSHOP #1035
Families will enjoy pictures with Santa, Mrs. Claus and Elf. Sponsored by Photo Tech foto source and A Cut Above Hair Design with photographer Grant Jones.
* Pictures will be by donation to the Campbell River Food Bank
*Amy Louise Face Painting – by donation
*Party Mamas – glitter tattoos and hair extensions
*Vote for your favorite Gingerbread House at Ultimate Gift Boutique (by the DI)
Around the Plaza
Salvation Army with Carollers plus complimentary hot chocolate by Shoppers Drug Mart.
McDonald’s Drink Truck will be serving hot and cold drinks from 4:30 to 8:00.
FOOD COURT – by Santa’s Workshop.
- Java Shack – Barbequed Hamburgers
Glen’s Kettle Korn
CBMD – mini donuts
The Pretzel Guyz
Victory Now Church – Fire Pit and hot drinks
Starlight Shopping & The Big Truck Parade will kick off the Downtown Christmas shopping – most stores will be open late promising a night of fantastic shopping, treats and promotions!
It is an event not to be missed!